Sunday, February 19, 2017

Taekwondo ~ 태권도

Tae - to kick or jump
Kwon - fist or hand
Do - the way          
"The way of the hand and foot"

This is what I learned and experienced for the first time recently. I found the whole experience enriching. I learned that taekwondo consists of four steps: the basics, patterns, sparring, and breaking. In my first introductory class I learned only the beginning of the basics, but it was enough for me to certainly consider trying it again. I also learned that my body has a long way to go before it is flexible enough to preform some of the warm up stretches used prior to practicing...

I learned the term Kihap - 기합 or "spirited shouting" which literally means "to gather ones energy." This is the sound that we were taught to make as we punched or kicked. At first yelling felt strangely out of place and awkward, but after becoming accustomed to it I found it to be rather stress relieving and fun.

We had fantastic instructors who came to work with us all. They seemed to really enjoy taekwondo as as a hobby and lifestyle and had a fun time teaching foreigners how it was done. They put a lot of enthusiasm and energy into their demonstrations and instructions. So I would like to thank the people of Arirang Taekwondo for their hard work and instruction. I would definitely recommend them for interested learners.






Click here for more information on the history and tactics of Taekwondo

No comments:

Post a Comment