Saturday, May 27, 2017

Musician Spotlight - Sungha Jung (정성하)

Sungha Jung is by far one of the most talented Korean guitarists that I have come across during my never ending YouTube explorations. His style is unique in a way that represents him well, with his uncanny ability to produce amazing finger-style guitar covers and originals. For someone who is so talented at the guitar, it is also impressive that he is so young, only being 20 years old. When I first discovered him, his music brought me peace and relaxation. I used his covers as a way to block out the world as I studied for my exams in university. Now I listen to his music when I go for walks, need to relax, or just want to sway back and forth around my apartment and dance. I especially enjoy his originals. I think his originals really showcase his personality and that he truly puts his emotion into his own work.Through his YouTube channel he makes it quite obvious to viewers that he enjoys playing in his videos. In most, if not all, of his videos on YouTube, you can't help but notice a huge grin spread across his face as he gets really into any song that he plays. It is a look of pure joy in what he does and that, I believe, makes him very admirable as an artist. Without a doubt, my favorite song of his currently would be his original Milky Way. I think that this song not only has a very well produced music video, but that the guitar speaks for itself strongly and as such yields an emotional song even without lyrics.




One of my favorite older arrangements of his, although they are all amazing.... is his arrangement of Dust in the Wind. 




And more recently, his arrangement of Isn't She Lovely.



If you enjoy guitar or are looking for a new artist to fall in love with then Sungha Jung may be for you. I am sure that if you gave his music a chance you would become enchanted with the sounds he is able to produce as a guitarist. 

His Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment