Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Seoul Rage Room

In the search for new and exciting things to occupy my time while visiting Seoul on the weekend, my friend and I came across the Seoul Rage Room. Located in Hongdae, it is exactly what it sounds like, a room where you can literally just smash stuff. I think it can be a very therapeutic experience to anyone who has pent up anxiety or stress. There are several different packages that you can choose from, which vary in price depending on how much you want to break. My friend and I opted for the 40,000 Won package, which was the third most expensive out of the five packages that were offered. Included with that price we were given about 20 ceramics, a printer, 2 bats and 15-20 minutes inside the room. It sounds a bit on the pricey side, but I assure you it was certainly worth it. It was so much fun. 

You can make reservations online for any specified time, and I recommend heading there early. It took my friend and I awhile to find it since it is on a side street and Korean streets can feel like a maze at times. Even following my map we got briefly lost. Once you arrive you will be asked to sign a waiver so it isn't the establishments fault if you get injured, then suit up, and smash. They provide suits so that any debris, fragments, or dust stay off your clothing, as well as a helmet equipped with a full face shield to prevent shattered ceramics from flying back into your face. If you desire, there are also headsets to block out some of the noise, but I thought the sound of shattering glass was the best part. The rules were also simple, please try to aim your throws at the target, refrain from hitting the walls with the bat, and not to hit the storage container.

It may seem like 15-20 minutes is not a long time, but I think it was more than enough time to smash what we were given. By the time 15 minutes had passed we were both exhausted, out of breath, and muscles we had forgotten existed were aching. 

When we first began, the music was turned up load and blaring, which created the perfect atmosphere for shattering things. The rules were explained and the worker showed us a place we could mount our phone if we wanted to record. It seemed to me that they really had thought things through, the phone mount was such a simple addition that showed they were up to date with modern times. Of course anyone who came would want to record themselves. Once he left the room my friend and I jumped straight into it. First, we started by throwing the ceramics at the target on the wall. The shattering sounds were really great. I was surprised a few times however, when one of the ceramics wouldn't break and I would have to try again. This pleasant surprise made it more fun. It felt like the dishes were saying, 'You have to throw us harder than that!' 



Then we moved on to the bats and played a bit of ceramic baseball, taking turns pitching each other plates to hit. When I reviewed the video I recorded later those hits were some of the most impressive to see. Out of ceramics, it was then time to smash the printer. My friend and I beat it until it was nothing but a crumpled piece of metal and shards of plastic. Finally, we assaulted the dummy in the room with our bats. The poor dummy looked like he had seen much better days; his head was nearly detached he had been hit so many times. My friend and I competed to see who could hit the dummy the hardest, so it received an onslaught of hits, attacked from both sides. 



Exhausted and out of breath, we ran out of things to break so we packed up and left. It is an experience I am glad to have tried and if I had some extra money or a bad day I would do it again. Unfortunately I think the price is too expensive for frequent visits. 

The rage room is also very close in proximity to Hongik University, which is either a coincidence or very well planned. What better way to make money than open up a rage room near a university that I am sure is filled with stressed students, and also in an area known for its popularity and foreign presence. 


This is the address for anyone interested in checking it out!
서울시 마포구 와우산로19길 15 3층
3F, 15, Wausan-ro 19-gil, Mapo-gu, Seoul


No comments:

Post a Comment