Wednesday, October 11, 2017

DropTop Cafe


DropTop Cafe is one of the endless cafe's that a traveler will come across if they are in South Korea. With so many cafes it is a wonder that they all successfully operate. How do so many cafes maintain enough business to enable themselves to stay open? Well, I think it is how well each cafe caters its own atmosphere to its customers. Some cafes are great for being social, others for getting work done, and others for that delicious drink, toast, or dessert.



Upon my move to Naju, DropTop Cafe became my go-to place for all of these things. As I adjusted to my life in Korea, I found myself visiting this cafe consistently. At first it was because of the free WiFi, since I had not set up a phone yet, had no WiFi in my apartment, and was starting the life of an English teacher: an Internet connection was something I could not live without. As time moved on I realized that the atmosphere of the cafe kept me coming back. It was always clean, relatively quiet and relaxing, and the staff always tried just as hard to communicate with me as I did with them. We worked together to get over the language barrier so that I could order their delicious drinks. Sometimes it took some embarrassed laughs and apologies, but I was never disappointed in my service. Their service was beyond expectations, or maybe it just seemed that way to me because I am a foreigner...

Every time I get up to leave and throw out my trash, the staff comes, takes my tray, and disposes of everything for me. This is extremely kind of them, but I think it boils down to the fact that they don't trust me to properly separate and dispose of things considering Korea's extensive trash/recycling protocols. Either way, the fact that those types of things occur to them just goes to show how dedicated they are to their job.

I also like the design of the cafe. I love how the walls are glass, and that in the summer the walls fold and open nearly the entire cafe up to the summer breeze. Or if it is too hot, they can keep them closed and simply crank up the air conditioning. They also have an assortment of seating, from bench seating, tables, bar-style seats, and several larger tables. They even have a patio with tables and umbrellas on the rooftop for customers to enjoy the weather and the view overlooking the park nearby. The decoration of the cafe is simple and classy, with some rustic murals on the walls, woodwork, and a bookshelf for a dividing wall between areas of the cafe.




Wall Mural




I go to DropTop to use their free internet. I go there to sample all their drinks and toast. I go there to chat with friends when I should be lesson planning. I study Korean there. I watch dramas there. I lesson plan there. I see a vast majority of my students pass by as they head home...as the knock on the windows just to get my attention and wave at me. It is my place to both escape responsibilities and to dive into them, based on my mood.

Of course, with each visit I attempt to try something new from their menu. They have quite the span of drinks available, with everything from coffee, tea, fruit juices, ades, and more.

Here are some of the things I have tried:



First there is the Honey Almond Toast with whipped cream on top. By far some of the most delicious toast I have eaten in a cafe so far. The toast was already cut, allowing it to be easily eaten. The outer crust was nice and crunchy, while the inside was soft and sweet. The light whipped cream added that extra layer of texture that tied the flavors together really well. The green tea lattes were also delicious. I have ordered their green tea lattes countless times. They are probably my favorite thing to drink if I want something simple. The green tea lattes is of course, green...but it also is great for people who prefer their green tea sweet. I never liked green tea, until I discovered the sweetened version. The taste of green tea is fantastic once it is not so bitter, yet it still has that healthy and natural taste. It isn't overpoweringly sweet.


Sweet Potato Latte

This was the second drink that I tried at DropTop, a sweet potato latte. When it arrived I was really surprised, because it was purple. It was a really pretty color. It was not one of my favorite drinks, but I did like it. It was refreshing, and tasted starchy. Since it is a latte based on a starch, it also did taste healthy and more natural than artificial.




Vanilla Latte
The vanilla latte offered at DropTop is delicious as well. It had good vanilla flavor and was nicely balanced. 



Chocolate Latte 


The chocolate latte was one that surprised me when I first tasted it. I expected something that was sweet and chocolate flavored like chocolate syrup. However, what I tasted when I took that first sip was not chocolate syrup, but cocoa. The drink tasted much more like true cocoa and so it was more bitter than chocolate drinks I've had in the past. It wasn't that it was bad tasting, but it was a taste that I hadn't expected. It tasted more fresh and natural than an artificial drink. It was good, but I think it made me thirstier in the long run, longing for water. 


Strawberry Juice with whip and gelato

As you can probably tell, I like sweet drinks. This one was one of those drinks that I liked a lot because it was sweet. The strawberry juice was really fresh and authentic. The gelato was sweet, mixed with light whip cream and all together it was a very satisfying drink. 



Garlic Cheese Bread
The garlic cheese bread has an inside which is soft and buttery while the outer crust is crisp. It is cheesy and sprinkled in garlic, but is sweet at the same time. I found it very satisfying, as I've missed my garlic and cheese fix since coming overseas.

Peach Ade
The peach ade had a surprising tang to it which was refreshing with the hot summer days. It had small peach chunks in it too. I would suggest giving it a brief stir when you first drink it to sort of mix the flavors together more thoroughly.


Black Tea Latte

Creamy, milky, cold black tea in latte form. Yummy.




Not like American lemonade. If you are looking for a balanced sweet and sour lemonade this is not it. The taste is very sour and pure lemon; it was good, but as a lover of sweets it was something I had to drink really slowly. Oh wow was it sour, that first sip made me pucker up real quickly. I was unable to finish off the entire drink.



This was a seasonal cake that they began offering during the winter. It was January when I went and tried it,  it's a red velvet and green tea cake. It was good and the flavor profile was unlike the usual flavors offered. It tasted like a mix of home and Korea together: Red Velvet + Green Tea. I liked it, but I think it is something that I wouldn't eat often. Definitely it was something you'd need to eat when you were in the mood for it, it was fairly rich. I also loved the presentation of it. The employees always make the orders look so beautiful before serving them. So if you are the type of person to Instagram your food, DropTop is an Instagram-worthy cafe. Feed your subscribers. 


Ladies and gentlemen I give you the double chocolate mint Dropucino! Yayyyy. Satisfying all my winter blues with delicious minty goodness topped with whip, this seasonal beverage hit the spot. It was perfectly chocolaty and infused with mint flavor, perfect for a cold and snowy day.

As I try more of the menu, I will update this post and let you know what I think!


For the Korean website click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment