Monday, February 12, 2018

Cooking Adventure #2 - Tteokbokki

떡볶이 맛있다!!!

For my next Korean cooking extravaganza I decided to try and cook one of Korea's most popular street foods: tteokbokki. Tteokbokki in simple terms is long tube-shaped pieces of rice cake that are cooked in a sauce of Korean gochujang peppers and sugar. It is a dish with a balance of spicy and sweet. This however does not mean that all tteokbokki is created equal, as depending on the restaurant, vendor, or cook it can vary greatly in its level of spiciness and other ingredients that are added to the sauce. The most common additions or toppings include cabbage, fish cake, green onions, and sesame seeds. 

I once again was following a recipe I found at Future Dish. The recipe was simple enough for me, especially with their accompanying YouTube video providing me with a visual. It did take me a while to make, but I am sure that as I grow used to making it my prep time will become shorter. Now I can not only enjoy this food when I am out for a night in the city or walking around with friends, but I can cook it right in my own apartment. The authentic way!


To enjoy a silly video of me as I make 떡볶이 see below.




Stay tuned for the next dish I try to cook, probably some time after I go to the OLYMPICS! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment