Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Sulbing (설빙) - Korean Dessert Cafe

Sulbing...What I believe is the best dessert cafe in S. Korea.
설빙 빙수 맛있어요~

One thing that I have learned during my time here in South Korea is that bingsu is one of the most delicious deserts ever. I mean, it is like eating fresh clean snow, but with delicious toppings all thrown on top and sweet milk to mix it all together. What could be better than that?

While I am aware the Sulbing offers more on their menu than just bingsu, I haven't tried anything but this delicious dessert. It may be a bit on the pricey side, but it is well worth the taste. However, it is a dessert that is meant to be shared, as one bowl would be a huge serving to eat by yourself. Often times it is a dessert best shared between friends, family, or your significant other. 

If the satisfying taste wasn't enough to make bingsu a dessert that makes your mouth water, it is also an extremely visually appealing dessert. Anyone who knows food understands that the visual appeal of it is sometimes just as important as the taste, as we usually eat with our eyes first. Just one look at a fresh bowl of bingsu and your taste buds will be screaming, I NEED IT!

The Instagram section of your brain also usually will begin screaming... "I need a picture of it!"

So allow me to take you with me on my Sulbing journey, as I taste as much bingsu as I possibly can.






First up is the chocolate bingsu...an extreme chocolaty explosion for your taste buds. There is nothing more satisfying to a chocolate lover than a pile of chocolate snow with chocolate shavings, chocolate chunks, brownie pieces, cheesecake, and chocolate syrup.





Next up is the strawberry bingsu - I have had the strawberry flavor multiple times as well. It is naturally sweet, with fresh Korean strawberries (which in my personal opinion are some of the sweetest, juiciest strawberries I've ever eaten in my whole life) and cheesecake. Depending on the type of strawberry bingsu that you order you may also be blessed with a generous supply of whipped cream to top it off also. 

Don't forget the condensed milk for that extra sweet touch. Mixing in condensed milk as you eat makes it all the better!





Yummy delicious chocolate bingsu - topped with some classic green tea ice cream and powder.
Yummmy deliciousness






Not entirely sure what this flavor was honestly, as we just picked one off the menu and tried it. I am pretty sure it is the traditional kind, with bean powder and red bean ice cream as the topper. I do remember that it was good, but not as sweet as some of the others, as it had a more natural and subtle sweetness.


I got this one a second time. I really do think I like this one a lot. Living in Korea has made me come to appreciate a natural and subtler sweet taste in desserts. 




Nothing adds some health to your dessert quite like half of a honeydew melon on top. This one was delicious but somewhat more difficult to eat. In my opinion, it was the only type I tried that I felt was too expensive and difficult to eat to buy again. 





Yummmmm Blueberry Cheesecake flavor. These were some quality blueberries too. They were nice and big and very sweet in a blueberry syrup. 





This was Peach Cheesecake flavor, with some vanilla ice cream on top. The peaches were, once again, very fresh and ripe off the farm tasting. The freshness of the fruit is what I think makes the bingsu so delicious. Even though it is a big bowl, it feels light because most of the dessert only consists of shaved ice and fresh fruit. It's still an indulgence, but its one you don't feel quite as guilty for eating.


Stay tuned - I will update this one with more bingsu varieties as I try them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment