Sunday, February 11, 2018

Seoul's Themed Cafes

In this post I would like to summarize all of Seoul's themed cafe's that I have been to so far, and as I visit more I will continue to update.

Hello Kitty Cafe - Myeongdong
My very first themed cafe was the Hello Kitty Cafe in Myeongdong. I didn't order at this cafe; I only met my friends there. However, let me tell you I have never seen such a PINK place in my life, and pink just isn't my color. Haha. If you love the color pink or are one of those Hello Kitty obsessed people then this place is definitely for you, but it wasn't for me. It felt too upscale childish for me, which sounds funny considering I am fairly childish...but just wow...it really isn't my style. I will give it some credit though, the decorations were well done and the menu did seem very creative and followed the theme well. There must have been hundreds of stuffed Hello Kitty dolls in that cafe too.






또옹카페 - Seoul's 'Poop' Cafe - Insadong
My next themed cafe was staggeringly different from my first - Seoul's Poop Cafe. Now, maybe I am just strange, but this was much more my style. It was incredibly amusing to me. The waffles and other foods are shaped like the poop emoticon, the meals are served in troughs that resemble the squatter toilets, and the coffee comes in toilet shaped mugs. It was brilliant. I felt like if I tried to eat fried rice from a squatter toilet trough that it would make me a bit squeamish, but it made me giggle seeing others doing it. If you want to go here, it is located on the 4th floor of the Ssamzigil Mall (쌈지길) in Insadong. You can get there by taking subway line 3 (Orange Line) and getting off at Anguk Station (안국 역), exit 6. Careful, this entire area is an amazing wonder of Korean tourists traps mixed with traditional and shiny things, all of which you will want to buy.

My gorgeous toilet Mojito Latte :)

The Menu - just look at the dishes hahaha

Where you order


I went with two other friends. This menu was posted next to our table, and it all looked so fun and delicious that we each decided to try a different one. We ordered one of each, which are pictured next (Front - back: Rose Latte, Flower Ade, Mojito Latte). We all tried each others drink, and while I loved mine, the other two were also delicious. The flower ade was especially refreshing and good, since it had a much different taste than the coffee.

All the little poop messages people can leave stuck to the wall. No better memo than one in the shape of a cute little pile of sh*t .... LOL

So much fun.


Cat Cafe - Insadong
Coincidentally, this cafe is practically across the street from the last one I went to. I adore cats and have always had them growing up, however unfortunately I am mildly allergic to them. Since I had lived with cats my whole life, it was just a bit like living in a fog, but ever since I moved and lived away from the furry felines coming into contact with them again has made my reaction stronger. I had been wanting to visit a cat cafe since coming to Korea; I was deeply in need of some fuzzy cuddles, but worried it would just make me sick. Then came the weekend of my birthday, and I went to Seoul to spend it with my friends. Somehow, we ended up at a cat cafe. Everything inside was cat themed...and it was adorable. There were cats either roaming about or just laying around chilling throughout the room. The price for drinks was a bit higher, maybe closer to 10,000 won, but that includes getting to play and pet the cats for as long as you'd like. We drank our lattes and petted the cute cat asleep on the ledge near our table. Not all the cats at the cafe were nice.  A couple of the cats swatted at me when I tried to pet them, and one even snapped at me once. I assume this kind of behavior can come about if you are constantly being petted and pulled around all day though. At some point the cats have had enough love. Some cafes are better than others and this one was good in the way it treated their cats. They were not supposed to be picked up, petted in certain ways and etc, but you know that sometimes families with children probably terrorize them. The cafe also rotated them out, and would put the cats in a different room for privacy if they seemed to need it, so that was good. I thought that the munchkin cat that they had was irresistibly cute, with its short, pudgy legs. My favorite cat was the sleepy one at our table though. We stuck around until our drinks were empty, the cats seemed uninterested in us, and my allergies kicked in and I began sneezing. That was the sign it was time to get some fresh air and wash my hands. It was nice to be able to pet the cats and toss toys around for them though, and seeing various cat breeds was cool too. :)







The message's meaning meant well, however the translations...were a bit off.
I think I giggled about the "Don't smash their ass" part for about a good three hours after reading the sign. I just could not forget it, it was too funny. 



Edible Cafe
The Edible Coffee Cafe I had heard about from a friend of mine, and he really wanted to visit and try this cafe's menu. The reason being...it's a cafe where the menu contains edible insects. Naturally nearly anyone would understand why I was hesitant to join him. However I met with two of my friends and we went to check out this 'edible bug cafe'.

Since we were unsure of the taste or our ability to be brave enough to drink anything on the menu, we decided to get two drinks and split them between the three of us. The drinks we chose were the 300 meal-worm shake and the grasshopper tea. I was skeptical; I didn't want to drink it. Everything in me shouted...that's a bug...don't you dare drink it, but I did. AND I SURVIVED. It was actually quite delicious. I will say that the grasshopper tea was my favorite. It tasted very fresh and natural but it didn't taste well...like a bug. It was a greenish-yellow tea containing a tea bag filled with grasshoppers. Once my friend took the tea bag out and hid it from our sight, we drank it happily. Unless you look at the the tea bag, you would never guess it was grasshopper tea.

The meal-worm shake was a little different. Its taste screamed protein. I knew that bugs contained lots of protein but wow, it really tasted like a hard core protein shake. I can only imagine what the 500 meal-worm shake tasted like. I think if you're one of those people that are into protein shakes then this would be a good choice for you. It not only was heavy on protein flavor, but oddly enough it also tasted somewhat like cookies. It was a strange combination, but it was delicious. My only issue with this drink was that after a while the taste got to be too much for me. I don't think I could have finished off an entire drink on my own, especially since the taste seemed to grow stronger towards the bottom of the shake. In my opinion, it was the perfect shake to share with two of my close friends. It was just the right amount of protein for the three of us. So if you are ever in the mood for some protein filled bug drinks, Edible Coffee Cafe may be a place for you to visit.

Edible Inc. About Us Page



Sheep Cafe - Hongdae
What better way is there to spend your time at a cafe than to cuddle fluffy sheep after drinking your nice hot cup of tea or coffee?? How you ask? Simple. Go to Thanks Nature Cafe in Hongdae, Seoul.

Thanks Nature Cafe is another favorite of mine so far in my cafe journey. The atmosphere was very my style, calm and natural with a touch of a rustic farm feel. The menu also had a very natural theme and taste that I found enjoyable. My friend got a type of flower tea and we all watched in amazement as a literal flower bloomed from inside her glass, pretty petals and all. I tried it and it was nice tasting tea.

I was still on the recovery path after a long month of being sick, so I had ordered a citron honey tea. What I received was a tea with some of the freshest, most natural honey I have probably ever drank. It was sweet, strong tasting, and just the slightest bit grainy. It was a very soothing tea and did wonders for my throat, especially after walking around in the cold. Even the glassware our drinks were served in fit right in with the theme of the cafe, with a fancy, home style farm feeling to them.


















Inside the cafe is decorated in cute farm paintings and lots of stuffed sheep and sheep themed items, picturing the stars of the cafe, the sheep!







The sheep are kept in a pen just outside the cafe, which is located in a building with multiple stores. It was a bit difficult for my friends and I to find at first, but it is on the very bottom floor down some stairs. It was also toward the end of the building at the corner, if that information will help you find it.

The pen is taken care of very well and made sure to always be clean for customers. After you've had your drink you are able to go outside and enter the pen to pet the sheep. They are very fluffy and thick with wool (at least when I visited in the winter.) They also love food. They get all sorts of excited the moment one of the owners pulls out some food to snack on. If you are lucky, the owner will come out and give you a small handful, then you will really have the sheep's undivided attention. It is a lot of fun. I think we probably stayed and kept the sheep company for nearly a half hour before going on our way.




They were so fluffy and cute!!



No comments:

Post a Comment